In the book Son of Neptune, I found it really interesting that Percy Jackson who was the star of Rick Riordan's previous series, is now considered a nobody in the Roman Demi-God Camp that he was sent to. I think that it is very interesting how location and people around you can change how you are looked upon. In Percy's case he is now in a Roman Camp and looked surrounded by Roman Demi-Gods. The Romans fear water and in their culture Poseidon/Neptune is not looked upon very fondly so neither is he. But in the previous books when he was at Camp Olympus and surrounded by Greek Demi-Gods he was looked upon as a hero and was very popular.
I think that it is very odd that the "campers" at the new Roman Camp don't respect and appreciate both Nico and Percy because they are not only good at fighting but as Demi-Gods they are both unbelievably powerful. Nico can bring people back from the dead and control armies of skeletons and Percy can control water with unbelievable ease and precision.
I think that this is true in real-life as well as in a Rick Riordan book. You are looked at differently depending on what crowd you are hanging out with and where you are. If you are a Rabbi you will be regarded differently by Jews and by members of other religions. Or if you are a U.S. Soldier than in the U.S. you will have much respect given your way but in one of our enemy countries you may not be treated with respect at all. It depends on where you are and who you are with.
Also I find it very interesting that Jason the alpha male of the Roman Demi-Gods was treated with much more respect at Camp Olympus, the Greek Demi-God camp, than Percy was at the Roman Demi-God Camp. I wonder if this has anything to do with the Roman Culture versus the Greek Culture? Or if it is just because Poseidon is looked upon much more highly by Greeks than Neptune is not looked upon very highly by the Romans.
You're a really great writer and I can see that you really explore deep into the crevices of your book, really great post buddy!
ReplyDelete