Tuesday, January 31, 2012

When the FBI gets outgunned by two thugs, something has to be done

I recently finished the book Glock: The Rise of America's Gun by Paul M. Barrett.  I thought that it was very interesting that instead of using the textbook non-fiction introduction Barrett opened up his book with a story that introduces the problem that the Glock (main topic of the book) solved.  The story which takes place on April 11, 1986 in Miami, Florida is about two armed bank robbers who were being chased by eight FBI agents. When the bank robbers were cornered they opened fire on the agents.  The thugs had a shotgun and a hunting rifle.  The FBI agents had mainly revolvers and a few (3) semiautomatic pistols.  The thugs were eventually killed but at a great cost.  Two agents died, 3 were permanently wounded, and 2 were wounded.  The FBI had been outgunned by two thugs.  Something had to be done.


I think that it is unbelievable that something like this could happen.  How could the most highly trained non-miitary agency in the U.S. be outgunned by two thugs? Especially with weapons that anyone over 18 in the U.S could get with a proper license  I can't believe that this wasn't a bigger story than it already was.  Two civilians with some training outgunned eight highly trained FBI agents.  Could you imagine what would have happened if it had been normal police officers without the intense training that the FBI agents have to go though.  I am surprised that a gun like the Glock wasn't being used by every U.S. Policeman, especially a unit like the FBI.  These revolvers just weren't good enough, they were relics, not useful weapons.  Revolvers like this were in use in the late 1800's which is around 100 years before this incident.  In 1986 U.S. soldiers weren't going to battle with single shot rifles.  So why are the elite police or the FBI going to take down heavily armed bank robbers with revolvers?


I think that including this story as an introduction to the book was ingenious on Barrett's part.  This incredibly gripping and intriguing story really made me want to read this book.  Instead of the normal textbook introduction to a nonfiction book that turns many readers away due to its dullness.   This lead is really interesting. In the world today I think that if more non-fiction books had interesting beginnings lie this one, than more kids would read non-fictiong for fun.  Boring leads and just plain boring nonfiction books are what turn us away from nonfiction.  If this book had started off with:  The Glock semiautomatic pistol was invented by Gaston Glock in Vienna, Austria, and it was a major breakthrough in the firearms industry.  I wouldn't  be reading this book.  But instead it starts off: "It was nine forty-five a.m. on April 11, 1986, when Special Agents Benjamin Grogan and Gerald Dove spotted the two suspects driving a stoled black Chevrolet Monte Carlo on South Dixie Highway."  That is an intriguing first line.  It is definitely not your average opening for a nonfiction book.  But its definitely suitable because the Glock is not your average gun.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a really interesting book that I would love to perhaps take a look at one day and it makes me wonder...
    What is your stance on guns in America?

    ReplyDelete