Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Death is Expected

In The Battleground by W.E.B. Griffin, I found it very interesting that Bill Dunn, a Navy Fighter pilot, is so sure that he will die during the Battle of Midway.  He has it set in his mind that when he gets into that plane it will be his last day on earth.  I think that this is most likely a common fact with soldiers going to battle for the first time.


I think that Bill isn't the only one in his flight squadron who has very low confidence that day.  I'm going to bet that over half of the squad thinks that they are going to die.  They are going to fight agains more plains with much more experienced pilots in better planes.  They are the underdogs.


I think that this is interesting that his confidence is so low because he was given the chance to fly a Wildcat.  The Wild cat is one of the best planes in the world.  Plus there are only a few on the island so that means that his commanding officer, Major Park, thinks that he is one of the best pilots in the squad so he deserves to fly the best plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment