I chose a work by famous painter, Vincent Van Gogh, called Church At Auver. I think that Van Gogh purposefully made this painting have a gloomy, freaky look. I think that it is interesting how the bottom half of the painting is very cheery, but the top is gloomy. I also think that Van Gogh meant to split the mood of this painting like this. It almost seems that it is daytime at the bottom of the painting that has the grass and the top looks like it is night.
On the top of the painting the sky is blue but in the top left and top right corners there are black claw-like shapes. This adds to the scary/gloomy look of the painting. I also think that the unique brush strokes that are Van Gogh's trademark add to this look as well on the church. Also the colors on the bottom of the picture give are bright with very green grass and trees. But of the top of the painting the sky is dark navy blue and black like it is night time. I think that it is odd that it seems to have two times of day. Also if you look closely and zoom to the picture there seems to be a green/gray figure in the center window of the church, this also adds to the gloomy/scary affect of the picture.
I connect to this work because I think that it is common for many things in life to give off different moods. Sometimes I feel happy about something but then also nervous. I think that nearly everything gives of more the one emotion whether good or bad. I think that Van Gogh tried to get the viewers of this painting to feel emotions and wonder about it. I think that this is true of anyone who creates a piece of art/literature/etc. wants to make people think about and wonder not just look at or read their work.

No comments:
Post a Comment