Tuesday, December 6, 2011

It Really Isn't Very Funny

In the book It's Kind of A Funny Story by Ned Vizzini, I find it really odd that Craig got so depressed and messed up over not doing well in school.  I think that this isn't enough to make someone really depressed.  Especially considering that he is getting "93's".  He also got into drugs but the main thing was about school.


I think that stress over school is something that everyone faces at one point in life.  I find it really odd how someone who is getting 93's can get so depressed over it.  It seems that not only was he stressed, but he thought too much about what was next and was too hard on himself.  He kept saying that no college even look at 93's especially without any extra curricular activities and he is going to have a bad future because of it.  I noticed that he got off to a bad start to the Executive Pre-Professional High School by not completing the summer reading list and getting a 70 on the first test.  He never really recovered from this and he began to grow behind.  This was followed by the mentality mentioned earlier in the paragraph.


I think that on top of the stress over school and his future, his social life also put him over the top into depression.  For one I noticed that he never seemed to get over the fact that his closest friend, Aaron, was dating this girl, Nia.  He seems to really like her and seeing them always together really gets to him.  Things seemed to start going downhill for Craig the minute he got accepted into the Executive Pre-Professional High School.  He went to a party and was introduced to drugs and alcohol.  This certainly didn't help with his school performance and helped lead to his depression surfacing.

No comments:

Post a Comment