In the book Monster by Walter Dean Myers, I find it very interesting that the main character Steve Harmon believes he is innocent so strongly. He is 16 and being charged with murder. The witnesses say that Steve was a lookout for the robbery and went into the store looked around, and then came out to give the rest of the thiefs the all clear sign. But Steve says that he wasn't a lookout and that he wasn't in the store that day either.
I think that on top of him thinking that he is innocent I think that his parents and his little brother being so upset is causing him to think that he is innocent more and more as time goes on. I think that this may have altered his memory of the events that happened that day and what he now believes to be the truth is actually not quite it. In the beginning of the book I remeber that he said "What is so bad about going in, looking around, and walking out?" (paraphrased/not a direct quote). But later in the book (the part that I am up to now he said that he wasn't a lookout and he wasn't even there that day in the first place. I think that it is funnt that his idea of what happened seemed to change over the course of time.
I also think that it is odd that he is being tried for murder even though all of the witnesses had said that they didn't see him in the store. They saw other people in the store fighting with the owner who was killed but not him. Even if he was a lookout in this holdup that resulted in the murder of the owner I don't see how he could be sent to jail for 25 years to life. This seems like much too harsh a punishment for a 16 year old boy who might have been a lookout in the robbery.
nice!
ReplyDelete