In this book I found it very interesting that the "misfits" are such close friends with each other. It seems that the people who fit in nowhere else fit in with each other.
I think that that they became friends because they can all relate to each other not fitting in. It seems that they are all misfits for their looks more than how they act. Bobby is fat, Skeezie is dirty, Joe acts homosexual and dresses as such, and Addie is really tall. These characteristics are so different from each other. But they set each of them apart from the rest of the crowd enough that they are outcasts and this (being outcasts) is what seems to make them friends.
I also think that it is very interesting that some of the "popular" kids are nice to them and this doesn't make them outcasts. For example DuShawn Carter agreed to run for school president in the "misfits'" party called the Freedom Party. Though DuShawn Carter so far hasn't been subject to any harassment because of it.
Overall I think that it is interesting that in fact the group of "misfits" are more different from each other than they are from everyone else, but these characteristics do set them apart from the rest of the group. I think that it is because they don't fit in with everyone else that they are such close friends.
So true. I think that they also have to be friends to stick together and stand up for each other. For them it is hard to survive in middle school.
ReplyDelete