I recently read the lyrics of the song "Minority Report" By Jay-Z. This song was written as a tribute to the victims of Hurricane Katrina. I think that the narrator/Jay-Z believes that there wasn't enough help given to the victims of this terrible natural disaster as there should have been.
In several of the lines of this song by Jay-Z he implies that he isn't happy with how the victims of Hurricane Katrina were helped. "And the Commander-in Chief just flew by/Did he stop? No, but he had a couple seats" These two lines mean that the President of the U.S., the leader of all of the people who were hurt by the hurricane, just flew over New Orleans in a helicopter for a look at what happened. He didn't stop to help even though he could have evacuated several people out of the wreckage due to the empty seats in his helicopter. Several more lines from the song are "Baby needed food and you stuck on the roof/And helicopter swooped down just to get a scoop/Through his telescopic lens but he didn't scoop you. These lines mean that while people had starving babies and were stuck on roofs, helicopters passed overhead just to take pictures and record for the news. These helicopters could have helped these stranded people but instead took pictures so they could make money. Jay-Z is saying that these helicopters could have evacuated people instead of just taking pictures of them.
I think that this applies to all situations like this. Instead of getting stories and pictures of people we should be helping, we should spend all of our time actually helping them. For example if we had just taken pictures of slaves then we would still have slavery. We should focus on helping people in need and less on informing people about them.
Nice. This song was never played on the radio, was it? Naw. I respect Jay z a lot. Even though he did some bad things throughout his life, he raps about some deep, meaningful stuff. And I'm not just saying that because I'm his race.
ReplyDelete