In this very interesting book I find It unbelievably interesting that the author's family is so carefree and aren't ashamed or upset that they are poor. They are perfectly happy with not having real furniture, moving form town to town, and basically not having the things that we take for granted today.
I think that the root of this carefree vibe is her father, Rex Walls, who seems like a child at heart. He is always making light of everything making running from the cops and sleeping in the desert seem like games. He is unbelievably nice and playful, but he can't keep a job for very long which is why they move so much. On the other hand Rex Walls is incredibly intelligent and taught all of his kids (including the author) how to read at a very young age (three)and teaches them physics, advanced math etc., so they are way ahead when they do go to school(which isn't very often).
It almost seems that they are happy being poor. The author's parents seem to actually like being poor like they are. They say things like "Why buy fancy tables when these (huge wooden wire spools) work fine." or "Rich city folk who live in their fancy apartments can't see the stars like we can because of all the pollution." (note these quotes are slightly paraphrased).
On top of this I find that it is odd that since the author's father, Rex Walls, is so smart you I would think that he would get a good job. But it seems that the only job that he can get are jobs to be and electrician or an engineer in the local mine of whatever town that they are in. Rex talks a lot about finding gold, but they never do.
Overall I think that it is so interesting that the author's family can be so happy being poor like they are. I think this may be because they've (at least the kids) have never experienced or have been around real luxury so they don't know what they are missing.
No comments:
Post a Comment